Are you picking peas yet? Whether edible pod or shelling peas, those first bites are a delicious early-summer treat. They won’t stay that way long, however, unless they are picked regularly. To keep them at their tender best, peas need to be harvested every second or third day, particularly during a hot spell. That sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but the difference between sweet young peas and starchy over-mature ones is worth the effort.
And in case you’re short a few crops in your own garden, here’s a link to fresh local produce sources on the Okanagan.
We’re excited to announce that we’ll be offering a monthly local produce box program for the months of October through April. It is a fundraiser called the Farm Bag Program and it will help us raise money for our C.Urb site at the corner of Nanaimo and Ellis – 20% of every sale goes towards helping us build a stellar Centre for Urban Agriculture!
What does it cost?
The program is $175 for 7 months – that’s $25/month for 20 lbs of local produce!
What do you get?
- Each month you come to a central location to pick up a 20 lbs seasonal collection of locally-grown produce.
- The first time you come, you receive a Farm Bag program reusable bag into which you can put your produce.
- Each month the produce will vary, according to what is available. Throughout the winter, the contents will consist of cold-stored goods. Where possible the produce is organic.
- An informative newsletter is provided with each month’s produce with recipes and information about the contents.
How do I buy a Farm Bag?
- Visit http://farmbag.littlegreenbook.ca
- Click on ‘Buy a Farm Bag’ in the top left corner
- Choose Penticton Urban Agriculture Association
- Follow the prompts for placing your order (you’ll receive a confirmation email when the order has been submitted)
- Pop a cheque in the mail right away!
When is my order due?
- Orders need to be in by September 28th, 2011 to receive an October Farm Bag.
- The first delivery will be either October 12/13. You will be notified in advance of time, date and location.
- Late orders will be added to the next delivery month, and the program cost will be $25/month for the remaining months in the season (it ends in April).
Where can I learn more?
This program is a locally-developed concept between Localmotive and Little Green Book in an effort to help schools and community organizations raise much-needed money and support local agriculture.
You can visit the Farm Bag Fundraiser website to learn more about the program.
You can email email@example.com if you have any questions.